...by someone who doesn't know any better

06 August, 2012

How Not To Bake

Following on from the Rainbow Cake and the Cookie Pie, I bring you my own recipe (although variations on it did exist already, but I didn't know that until afterwards):

JAFFA CAKE CUPCAKES


This cake appeared to me in a dream (no kidding) and I decided to make it EVEN THOUGH I WAS MID-EXAM SEASON. Yeah, no need to thank me, you are WELCOME.

Warning: The recipe will take up a few hours, but that's ok, since you'll be richly rewarded.

Ingredients:


  • 150g softened butter
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 3 eggs
  • 175g self-raising flour, sifted
  • Zest of 1 orange
  • 50g chocolate chips
  • Red & yellow food colouring (optional!)

  • Topping:
  • Dark Chocolate
  • A little bit of butter
  • Orange jelly

2 hours before you make the cakes, make up the jelly with HALF the water it needs
Pour a little bit of the jelly mixture into either a muffin tin or similar, or into cupcake cases, so that you have about half a centimetre of jelly at the bottom.

Preheat oven to 180C/Gas Mark 6
Cream the sugar and the butter
Add an egg, then a spoonful of flour, repeat until all the eggs are used
Add the rest of the flour
Fold in the chocolate chips and the orange zest (and food colouring if you like it orange)
Divide mixture between however many cake cases it fills
Bake for 10-15 mins, stick a skewer in to see if they're done
Leave to cool for half an hour (VERY IMPORTANT)

Melt the chocolate and a tablespoon of butter either in a bowl over a pan of boiling water OR in the microwave, with 30 seconds, then vigorous stirring, then 10-second blasts (don't burn it!)
Turn out the jelly to top each cake, making sure that the cake is cool so the jelly doesn't melt
Top with the melted dark chocolate
EAT ALL THE CAKES

PS I've been tweaking this recipe, since it's been a bit hit-and-miss for me, if you have any problems let me know and I'll look into it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Be gentle...